Today I just got back from being on the island for 4 days. This last Tuesday I picked up Geoffrey, my sponsor child, to take him back home on Lingera island. The boat ride over was great, and very relaxing I think it was because we used a private boat which made the journey a lot less crowded. On the way Geoffrey taught another person sign language. It was so great to see Geoffrey interacting with others where as before he would have been too shy to converse. I have seen first hand that it has given Geoffrey both joy and hope to be able to go to school and learn. By the time we docked at the island Geoffrey and the man and finished going through the sign language book.
As people were being carried from the boat, i decided that i should move in a position on the front of the boat as to make it easier for the person to get me out and carry me. however my idea of easier ended up being an embarrassing disaster. So I went to the front of the boat, but then i realized that I only put myself in a harder position for him to retrieve me. so I decided to climb the bow of the boat. I realized after the fact that climbing with a skirt wasn't the best idea, but who thanks before they act,(apparently I don't!). As I stuck my foot up and tried to pull myself up with my arms my grip slipped and I feel backwards into the boat. Everyone was so concerned for me and my safety, I felt so stupid after that. here this white person is climbing the front of the boat, what in the world was she thanking; I must of looked ridicules to the Africans. That was my embarrassing moment of the week! hope it lighted up your day!
~ROX
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Deaf Awareness Week -Sep. 21st-26th
Geoffrey, Emma, Ruth, Me & Falo
Working Buddies
Charles & I just hanging out
At The Hotel in Kampala
Charles playing a made up card game with the kids
Geoffrey
He is posing silly for the camera

Love this story!!! Miss you sister pants...SOOOO SO MUCH!
ReplyDeleteI am glad it's was kinda funny... after the fact! Oh, by the way I really enjoyed talking with you last night! I miss you sooooo very much also.
ReplyDelete