Monday, September 14, 2009

Hey Yesterday I had a long day in Kampala with Andy ( who had to run arraigns) and Elijah. I got up at 6am and we left the bed and breakfast around 8ish. (this was the next morning after my flight.) We went all over Kampala and got stuck in traffic a few times. Ok, my first driving experience was slightly horrifying, but I got over it real fast. Man you really have to be an aggressive driver by honking and pushing your way through. (if you don't you will never get anywhere). This is quite a different experience than what I am used to back at the states. Even in New York, It was never this crazy. First off there are bodas everywhere, those are little taxi motorcycles, weaving in and out of traffic. They are very convenient when you don't want to sit through traffic because they only cost 500 shilling which is the equivalent of 25 cents in American dollars. We got to experience some rain as well, by some I mean a lot!!!! We went to a supper market which had pretty much anything I could get in the US all in this one little store, I would call it a mini Costco.
Right before I came to Uganda on Thursday-Saturday a riot took place in Kampala. More than 500 people were involved 21 killed and over 80 people injured. By Sunday, the day I arrived, it had all cleared up. here is the news about it if you want to know more about what had happened:
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORD/africa/09/14/uganda.travel.alert/

Right now I am staying in a missionary's home in Jinja, I am guessing I will be over at their house a lot since I will be within walking distance from where I will be at the YWAM base. Every Sunday they have a church service that I was told I was invited to go to.
Today I go to the island with Andy, Karina, and Baby. I am really excited about meeting the people over there. Andy & Karina Smith are missionaries on an island off of Lake Victoria (the Third biggest lake in the world). I am staying with them this week, then I will be going back to the mainland on Friday with Teresha (who is the leader of Spring of Hope).
anywho, that's all I have for now I will update this blog again when I have another chance to use Internet.

~Roxy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Deaf Awareness Week -Sep. 21st-26th

Deaf Awareness Week  -Sep. 21st-26th
Geoffrey, Emma, Ruth, Me & Falo

Working Buddies

Working Buddies
Charles & I just hanging out

At The Hotel in Kampala

At The Hotel in Kampala
Charles playing a made up card game with the kids

Geoffrey

Geoffrey
He is posing silly for the camera